Poughkeepsie... Dutchess County Executive William R. Steinhaus and Dutchess County Social Services Commissioner Robert Allers announced today the grand opening of a special exhibit, Heart Gallery of the Mid-Hudson, on Friday, October 28 at the Poughkeepsie Galleria. This first-ever exhibit is presented by the Departments of Social Services of Dutchess, Orange, Rockland and Westchester Counties.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for local families thinking about adoption to view the children available for legal adoption,” states County Executive William R. Steinhaus. “These children deserve a home and a family to love them. We want to help make that happen.”
A Heart Gallery is a portrait exhibit to raise awareness about adoption. Professional photographer Suzanne Turco of Rockland County has donated her time and expertise to capture the personalities of more than 50 children in the Mid-Hudson who are searching for their ‘forever home’. According to Commissioner Robert Allers, “If you have been thinking about adoption or foster parenting, come and see the children who are waiting and hoping for someone just like you.”
Each year, New York State removes thousands of children from their family of origin. While the majority of children are eventually returned home, some cannot be safely reunited with their families and become available for adoption. These children long to be part of a family of their own. Many children wait and hope for years.
This traveling exhibit will begin in Dutchess County with a Grand Opening Reception on Friday, October 28 at 3 PM, at the Poughkeepsie Galleria, Center Court. The exhibit will run through October 30. From there, the exhibit will travel to:
- Westchester County at the Westchester Arts Council, November 1-5;
- Rockland County at the Garnerville Arts & Industrial Center November 7-13;
- Orange County November 14-18 at the Southwinds Retirement Home in Middletown.
For More Information on this Topic:
- Dutchess County Department of Social Services (845) 486-3076
- Westchester County Department of Social Services (914) 995-6131
- Rockland County Department of Social Services (845) 364-3540
- Orange County Department of Social Services (845) 291-2808
A child is waiting. A child is hoping. Open your heart and your home.