Poughkeepsie… Dutchess County Executive William R. Steinhaus has announced the Dutchess County Department of Social Services (DSS) will host a free tax preparation event, in conjunction with the United Way of Dutchess County, the IRS and the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance on Saturday, February 7 beginning at 9am at their offices located at 60 Market Street in Poughkeepsie. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) event is designed to help residents complete their tax returns and all the necessary forms to claim their Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Working families making less than $42,000 ($16,000 for individuals) are eligible to take advantage of this free service. Appointments are necessary and can be scheduled by calling 211.
County Executive Steinhaus said, “By taking advantage of the Earned Income Tax Credit, working families can keep more of what they earn in their own household,” said County Executive Steinhaus. “Our trained volunteers will show families how to maximize their tax return for the best refund.”
According to Department of Social Service Commissioner Robert Allers, residents who took advantage of the VITA events for assistance with their tax preparation had an average return of over $3,000. Trained Social Services volunteers will be available to assist residents with special credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly, to see if they qualify. In addition to free tax return preparation assistance, free electronic filing (e-filing) will be available. The e-file program allows residents to receive their refunds in half the time compared to returns filed on paper or even faster if they have the refund deposited directly into their bank account.
Residents who want to take advantage of the February 7th free tax preparation event should call 2-1-1 to make an appointment as space is limited.
Residents should bring the following materials to their appointment:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for their self, spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for their self, spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Current year’s tax package if one was received
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For more information about Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, simply dial 2-1-1 for the United Way. Residents can call 24 hours a day, seven days a week for EITC information, to find out if they qualify and/or schedule an appointment with a qualified tax preparer.