February 27th Update at 12:30pm:
American Red Cross is operating an overnight shelter at John Jay High School located at 2012 Route 52 in Hopewell Junction.
Warming Centers being provided today (2/27/10) by municipalities:
- Approximately 50 people utilized the shelter last night.
- Dutchess Medical Reserve Corp (MRC) are assisting at the shelter.
- Tompkins Hose Company located at 13 South Avenue in Beacon is now open. City of Beacon Police will assist Beacon residents with transportation to the Tompkins Hose Company warming center. Beacon residents can call 831-4111
- Wappinger Town Hall located on Middlebush Road will be open until 9pm tonight. Town of Wappinger residents who need transportation to the Town Hall warming center can call (845) 297-2744.
- Garner Fire House in the Village of Wappingers Falls is now open. Village of Wappinger Falls residents who need transportation to the Garner Fire House warming center can call 297-1011.
- The Town of Fishkill will assist Town of Fishkill residents who need transportation to the John Jay High School shelter. Town of Fishkill residents can call 831-1110.
Dutchess County LOOP will be providing transportation from 5pm until 8:30pm to the ARC shelter at John Jay High School from the following centralized locations.
- Wappingers Town Hall
- Tompkins Hose Company
February 26th Update as of 3:45pm:
American Red Cross, in cooperation with the Dutchess County Department of Emergency Response, will be opening an overnight shelter at John Jay High School located at 2012 Route 52, Hopewell Junction at 5pm today.
Residents should bring bedding including blankets and pillows and any necessary medications. Families with children should bring some toys or other items for quiet enjoyment.
American Red Cross will be working to coordinate food and refreshments, but residents should bring snacks and any special dietary needs they may have.
No pets will be allowed. Certified service animals only.
Warming stations established earlier today were for daytime use only and the John Jay High School location will be the centralized overnight shelter option.
For more information about the American Red Cross shelter at John Jay High School, contact the American Red Cross at (845) 471-0200.