DC Emergency Operations Center Sunday 8/28 3PM Update
Sunday, August 28th
Poughkeepsie… Dutchess County Executive William R. Steinhaus provided the following information from the County’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) following the 3pm briefing.
911 Center update:
• Over 1600 calls placed to 911 since 12am on Sunday morning. Calls have included:
o structural damage to homes and need for evacuations.
o Water rescues from vehicles.
o Road closures due to flooding or downed power lines.
• Peak volume has been 100 to 200 calls per half hour.
Dutchess County Executive William R. Steinhaus said, “Stay safe and stay off the roads! 911 is reporting numerous calls for people driving on flooded roads, stalling out and requiring rescue. It is important to stay off the roads and allow emergency crews address road problems.”
River and Creek levels:
• The Ten Mile River is now expected to crest later, at approximately 8pm on Sunday, reaching 12.8 feet. Debris that gets carried by flood water is a concern, as it can cause related road and property flooding.
• The projection for the Wappinger Creek has changed. It is now expected to crest at 12.1 feet by 8pm on Sunday.
• The Fishkill Creek is now expected to crest by early in the day on Monday.
Central Hudson update:
• 100,000 customers affected with outages, less than 20,000 in Dutchess County.
Dutchess County Sheriff Office update:
• Officers have handled numerous rescues today, several in Pleasant Valley
Dutchess County Public Works update:
• Multiple issues with downed trees and wires.
• Numerous county roads impacted by flooding, in some cases causing serious erosion and wash out of roadways.
NYS Department of Transportation update:
• Multiple state road closures, primarily flooding.
American Red Cross update:
Current open shelters:
• Mid Hudson Civic Center at 14 Civic Center Plaza in the City of Poughkeepsie.
• Taconic DDSO in Wassaic.
• Red Hook High School located at 103 West Market Street in Red Hook.
• Roy C. Ketcham High School located at 99 Myers Corners Road in Wappinger.
• For more information on American Red Cross shelters, call 2-1-1 or 471-1900.
Mass Transit update:
• Dutchess County LOOP Bus System providing transportation assistance for the evacuation of the Shady Creek Trailer Park in the Town of Poughkeepsie at the request of the Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department.
Dutchess Medical Reserve Corp (MRC) update:
• Continuing to assist American Red Cross with mental health and other non-medical volunteers to assist with shelter operations.
Residents are also reminded to call 9-1-1 ONLY in the event of an emergency. Storm information including reports of power outages, shelter information, dry ice inquiries and other storm related questions should be directed to 2-1-1 or local media and utility websites. Information will also be available on the County’s social media pages including Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dutchess-County-Government/73646813346 and Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/DutchessCoGov.
- end -