News Release

 

For More Information:

William R. Steinhaus
Dutchess County Executive
Telephone:  (845) 486-2000
, FAX: (845) 486-2021, , FAX: (845) 486-2021, countyexec@co.dutchess.ny.us

May 23, 2002

County Executive Launches Parks Summer Season

 

County Executive William R. Steinhaus, today, announced the beginning of the summer season with the extension of the open hours at our County Park System.  “With the weather predicted to be more summer-like for this Memorial Day Weekend, I am pleased announce the return to the Summer Schedule for our Parks (Bowdoin Park, Wilcox Park and the Harlem Valley Rail Trail) and to encourage families and children of all ages to get out there and enjoy these wonderful facilities,” said County Executive Steinhaus. 

Bowdoin Park, located off Sheafe Road in the Town of Poughkeepsie, will be open seven days a week from 9:00am to 8:00pm, between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  Bowdoin Park has pavilions, soccer and softball fields, an extensive accessibility enhanced playground with water spraying turtles, a Nature Center, two wetland boardwalks and miles of nature trails available for public use.  In addition, the recently renovated MapleKnoll Lodge and Cabins overlooking the Hudson River, the historic and picturesque Ellessdie Chapel (originally constructed in 1840), four pavilions and the park’s Community Center are available to the public for special events or private parties.  Call Bowdoin Park at 298-4600 for information on the availability of and reservations for these facilities. 

Wilcox Park, located off Route 199 in the Town of Milan, has two lakes with a swimming beach, boat rentals and fishing.  A Miniature golf course and two pavilions are also available for public use there, as are the miles of nature trails.  Wilcox Park has tent, trailer and group campsites, which fill up quickly during the summer, so call the park for information and reservations (876-1600).  From Memorial Day to June 23, Wilcox Park will be open on weekends and holidays, between 9:00am and 8:00pm.  Camping sites are available for Friday and Saturday nights.  Starting June 24th and continuing through Labor Day, Wilcox Park will be open seven days a week, including the campsites.  Weekday hours will be from 10:00am to 7:00pm, with weekend and holiday hours from 9:00am to 8:00pmSwimming at Wilcox Park’s beach will be allowed from 10:00am to 7:00pm on days the park is open.  During the swimming season, a four-dollar per car fee is charged for admission.  Starting this year, there will be no admission fee for seniors (60 or old) with proof of age and.  For frequent park visitors individual and family a seasonal pass for Wilcox Park is available for $20 and $35, respectively. 

Our third and newest addition to our park’s system the Harlem Valley Rail Trail, is a paved multi-use trail, that extends over eight miles from Mechanic Street in Amenia to Route 44 in the Village of Millerton and is open from dawn to dusk.  Parking is available at the lots located on Mechanic Street in Amenia and off Coleman Station Road (CR 58) in the Town of North East.  The trail makes accessible to a wide variety of users the tremendous scenic views of the surrounding rural countryside, while providing a regionally significant, off-road recreational facility.  A variety of events have been scheduled for the rail trail this summer, for more information on scheduled events call our local partners, the Harlem Valley Rail Trail Association at (518) 789-9591.

-end-

 

2002 Press Releases