Frequently Asked Questions

Public Works - Public Transit

  Bus Service  

Q.  Can I board the bus anywhere along the route or only at the stops indicated on the schedule?

The times on the schedules are time points and the bus will stop if hailed anywhere along the route that is safe to pull over. The buses do not stop at throughfares or intersections where cars are making right-hand turns.

Q.  Do I need to purchase a bus ticket prior to boarding or can I pay on the bus?

Effective January 1, 2017, our fare is $1.75 per bus and customers can pay when boarding the vehicle. Monthly passes can be purchased at our office at 14 Commerce Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603.  Monthly pass riders would have to show the pass upon entering the vehicle. Visit Fares, Passes & Rider Information for more details.

Q.  Do I need exact change for the bus fare?

Public Transit Bus Operators cannot make change, exact fare is required, however, if overpayment occurs, a change card will be issued with the difference in fare so that it could be used on a future Dutchess County Public Transit trip.

Q.  Are there parking facilities at each stop along the RailLink routes?

We have three RailLink routes to the Beacon, New Hamburg, and Poughkeepsie Train Stations.  Parking facilities are located at the following locations:

  • Beacon - Renegade's Baseball Stadium (Dutchess County Regional Transportation Center), Route 9D, Beacon
  • Poughkeepsie - Municipal Garage (Main Street & Market Street), Poughkeepsie
  • New Hamburg - Poughkeepsie Galleria, Route 9, Poughkeepsie


Specific route information for our system is available by calling Public Transit at (845) 473-8424.

Q.  I left personal items on a bus, whom should I contact?

Any articles found on the bus will be turned into the Division of Public Transit Bus Office.  The Public Transit Bus Office is located in the town of LaGrange, off Route 55, at 14 Commerce Street.  All articles will be held for a maximum of 14 days. Call (845) 473-8424.

Q.  How can I find out if I'm eligible for the Dial-A-Ride service?

In order to serve the special transportation needs of the elderly and disabled public, the service is offered only to those who need it.  Locate more information on eligibility requirements and application.

Go to top of page

  Commuter Service  

Q.  I'm interested in carpooling, are there any park and ride lots in Dutchess County?

View a list of carpooling/vanpooling locations in Dutchess, Orange, and Ulster counties.  For additional commuter services, visit 511 NY Rideshare, a free commuter services sponsored by the New York State Department of Transportation.

Q.  What is the latest road condition information (closures, construction, etc.)?

The New York State Department of Transportation and the New York State Police's Hudson Valley Transportation Management Center's (HVTMC) Hudson Valley Traveler (HVT) provides traffic information  such as incident and congestion reports for Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Dutchess, Orange, Columbia, and Ulster counties.

Go to top of page

Did You find the answer you were seeking here? If not, visit the All Frequently Asked Questions page to view FAQs by topic.