Info Finder

Department Info

Federal Transit Funding

Transportation Council
Eoin Wrafter, Commissioner


Mark Debald, Transportation Program Administrator

The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) administers a variety of programs that support transit servcies in and around Dutchess County:

FTA Section 5307 (Urbanized Area Formula Program)

The Urbanized Area Formula program, also known as Section 5307, provides funding for transit capital and operating assistance and for transportation related planning in Census-designated urbanized areas including the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh Urbanized Area. These funds are distributed by the Mid-Hudson Valley TMA. Funding is distributed by formula based on the level of transit service provided, population, and other factors.

Eligible activities include: planning, engineering, design and evaluation of transit projects and other technical transportation-related studies; capital investments in bus and bus-related activities such as replacement, overhaul and rebuilding of buses, crime prevention and security equipment and construction of maintenance and passenger facilities; and capital investments in new and existing fixed guideway systems including rolling stock, overhaul and rebuilding of vehicles, track, signals, communications, and computer hardware and software. In addition, associated transit improvements and certain expenses associated with mobility management programs are eligible under the program. All preventive maintenance and some Americans with Disabilities Act complementary paratransit service costs are considered capital costs.

For urbanized areas with populations less than 200,000, operating assistance is an eligible expense. Urbanized areas of 200,000 or more may not use funds for operating assistance unless identified by FTA as eligible under Special Rule.

More information is available on the FTA Section 5307 website.

FTA Section 5310 (Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities)

The Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Program, also known as FTA Section 5310, aims to accommodate the transportation needs of the elderly and persons with disabilities where public transportation services are unavailable, insufficient or inappropriate. NYSDOT administers the program in New York State. The NYSDOT funds are available to non-profit organizations or public agencies to purchase buses for elderly and disabled transportation. The program funds 80 percent of the vehicle purchase cost, with the remaining 20 percent provided by the applicant organization as the local match. Funding is also available for operating expenses. Projects in Dutchess County using Section 5310 funding must be consistent with the DCTC's Coordinated Public Transit-Human Service Transportation Plan (.pdf).

More information is available on the FTA Section 5310 website.

FTA Section 5337 (State of Good Repair)

The State of Good Repair Program provides funding to fixed guideway systems (including rail, bus rapid transit, and passenger ferries) and high intensity bus systems (e.g. buses operating in High Occupancy Vehicle-HOV lanes). Projects are limited to captial vehicle replacement/rehabilitation, or capital projects required to maintain public transportation systems in a state of good repair. Projects must be included in a Transit Asset Management Plan to receive funding.

More information is available on the FTA Section 5337 website.

FTA Section 5339 (Bus & Bus Facilities Program)

The Bus and Bus Facilities program provides funding to replace, rehabilitate, and purchase buses and related equipment, and to construct bus-related facilities. The program requires a 20 percent local match.

More information is available on the FTA Section 5339 website

Go to top of page