Emergency Response:Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Emergency Response
Dana Smith, Commissioner

  Calling 9-1-1  

Q.  Where should I call in an emergency?

Call 9-1-1.  View All About 9-1-1 to learn all about our county’s 9-1-1 service.

Q.  How can I contact the police when it is not a 9-1-1 emergency?

See our list of non-emergency police contact telephone numbers and addresses for Dutchess County.

Go to top of page

  Emergency Preparedness and Terrorism  

Q.  Where can I find information on emergency preparedness and terrorism?

Visit the Information Resources webpage under Emergency Services for links to information from other agencies regarding emergency preparedness and specific terrorism agents and threats.

Q.  What is the CDC Clinical Information Service?

The CDC Clinical Information Service is part of the 800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) Contact Center, a resource for clinical information and material covering CDC health-related topics.  800-CDC-INFO  is a 24/7/365 toll-free telephone information system for clinicians and the public to facilitate the rapid dissemination of bioterrorism information, natural disaster updates, and the latest on emerging diseases.

Go to top of page

  Emergency Response  

Q.  Where can I go to stay cool during a heat wave?

If you don’t have air conditioning at home, seek out friends or family with air conditioning.  You can also find adequate air conditioning at normally operating businesses in your community.  Some suggestions of places you can go include grocery stores, libraries, town halls, community centers local malls or movie theaters.  Additionally, you can call your local municipality to see if they have opened any designated cooling centers.  Visit our Where Can I Go to Stay Cool During a Heat Wave? webpage for more information.

Q.  Where can I find information about becoming a firefighter?

Contact your local fire department.  View our list of Fire Departments and Emergency Medical Services Providers in Dutchess County for non-emergency contact information.

Q.  Where can I find information about becoming an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)?

To qualify for certification as a New York State Certified First Responder (CFR) or Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B), the applicant must meet certain requirements.  For more information, visit New York State Department of Health's General Requirements for Certification (.pdf)

Q.  How do I become a volunteer for the Medical Reserve Corps of Dutchess County?

Visit our Medical Reserve Corps of Dutchess County web page to access information on volunteer training courses and registration forms.

Go to top of page

Did You find the answer you were seeking here? If not, visit the All Frequently Asked Questions page to view FAQs by topic.