Frequently Asked Questions

Eoin Wrafter, Commissioner

  Impaired Driving Laws  

Q.  When is a person considered legally intoxicated while driving?

In New York State, the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) for legal intoxication while driving is .08%.

Q.  How can I start a Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) Chapter in my community?

Visit the SADD website to view more information on starting a chapter in your area as well as upcoming SADD events.  You can also contact your local school district.

Go to top of page

  Traffic Safety  

Q.  Where is the nearest child car seat inspection station in my community?

View our list of child car seat safety check locations in Dutchess County.  To locate child car seat inspection stations and certified technicians throughout New York State, visit the New York State Governor's Traffic Safety Committee website at:

Q.  Where can I file a child seat complaint or report a defect?

To register a complaint or report a defect online, visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website.

Q.  What is a Bicycle Safety Rodeo and how can I organize one in my community?

The rodeo is a series of events or challenges, which provides an opportunity for bicyclists to practice and develop skills they need to avoid typical crashes. View our Guide (.pdf) for further information on organizing a bicycle safety rodeo in your community.

Go to top of page

Did You find the answer you were seeking here? If not, visit the All Frequently Asked Questions page to view FAQs by topic.