Poughkeepsie ... As part of a continuing effort to improve and enhance the Dutchess County bus system, Dutchess County Public Transit is proposing fare changes to make the bus system easier to use and improve accessibility. The proposed changes would simplify the fare structure and create a variety of passes to meet the needs of riders.
A public hearing is scheduled for Monday, April 9, 2018 at 7pm in the Legislative Chambers, Dutchess County Office Building, 22 Market Street in Poughkeepsie.
The public can comment on the following proposed modifications to Dutchess County Public Transit Fares, scheduled to be effective April 16, 2018:
- CHANGE - Transfers are proposed to be 30 cents to all routes, between any Dutchess County Public Transit route, as long as it is not the same route that the transfer was purchased from (i.e. between Route A and Route B, but not between Route A and Route A). Previously, transfers were only eligible between double letter routes.NEW - 1-Day Pass for regular customers for $5.00 and reduced-fare customers for $2.50, in response to requests from occasional bus users. Customers would need to ride the bus three times in a day to receive the value.
- NEW - 7-Day Pass for $10.50 and 31-Day Pass for $31.00 for reduced-fare customers.
- NEW – Vassar College employees and students can ride free by showing a Vassar College ID, with Vassar College paying the full fare for each rider under a new contract agreement.
- NEW - Dial-A-Ride fare of $1.00 for seniors (60 years old & older), veterans and persons with disabilities showing a Medicare or ADA/Special Transit ID card. All others pay $3.50.
- NEW - Same day service will be $7.00 on City of Poughkeepsie Dial-A-Ride for all customers.
- PROCEDURE CLARIFICATION - A “Student” is any individual attending school, elementary through college, who can show a currently valid school ID to the bus operator.
- ELIMINATING - 3-Day and 5-Day passes and the 20-Ride Reduced Ticket due to lack of use.
Timetables are available on all buses and Dutchess County Public Transit website at www.dutchessny.gov/publictransit. For more information about Dutchess County Public Transit, including demand response reservations, call 845.473.8424.