Skip to main content

Dutchess County to Host Public Forum on Service Needs for People with Chemical Dependency Problems

Published: 3/29/2013

For More Information Contact:

Colleen Pillus

Poughkeepsie… The Dutchess County Department of Mental Hygiene has announced a public forum on service needs of chemically dependent persons and their families.  It will be held on Thursday, April 11, from 4-6 p.m. in the Multi-Purpose Room at the Mental Health Center, 230 North Road, Poughkeepsie. This event is open to all Dutchess County residents and is sponsored by the Chemical Dependency Subcommittee of the Dutchess County Mental Hygiene Board.

Dutchess County Commissioner of Mental Hygiene, Dr. Kenneth M. Glatt, encourages consumers, family members, providers of service and all interested citizens to come to the forum and speak about their concerns, suggestions and/or experiences regarding chemical dependency treatment services.

The Division of Chemical Dependency Services offers a wide range of services for Dutchess County residents who are chemically dependent (i.e., persons who are abusing alcohol and/or other drugs). According to Dr. Glatt, “Over 4,000 persons a year are served in the various programs of the Department and our contract agency partners. We are looking for public input and support of programs and services for the effective prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of chemically dependent persons. Each year, the Department must submit a Local Services Plan to the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services, the governmental body which licenses chemical dependency treatment programs.  Citizen input is an important part of this planning process.”

Moderating the session will be Margaret Hirst, LCSW, Chief of the Department’s Division of Clinical Services. Ms. Hirst also serves as the Staff Liaison to the Subcommittee.  Membership on the Subcommittee is open to residents of Dutchess County, subject to appointment by the Mental Hygiene Board with the approval of the Commissioner.  For further information, please call 486-3790. Residents can also provide comments online at