Statewide Victim Assistance & Notification 24- Hours A Day
Many victims live in fear the criminal offender who victimized them may someday return to do so again. For these victims, and their family and friends, it is important to know if the offender is incarcerated in a correctional facility and if or when they are released from custody.
Now with just one toll-free call, a citizen can immediately learn the custody status of any offender housed in any of New York’s county jails or other County correctional facilities.
Facts about the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE
- The offender will not know you are registered with the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE.
- If you are not at home, the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE will leave a message on an answering machine. If there is no answer, the hotline will keep calling back until you enter your PIN code or until 48 hours have passed.
- Since the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE calls automatically when an offender's custody status changes, you may get a notification call in the middle of the night.
- Do not leave a phone number with the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE that rings to a switchboard unless the switchboard operator has your PIN code to confirm the message.
- The New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE monitors offenders in New York's County Jails, the New York City Department of Correction and the New York State Department of Correctional Services.
- Do not depend solely on the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE, or any other single program, for your protection. Make the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE part of your safety plan.
- You can leave more than one phone number with the New York Sheriffs' VICTIM HOTLINE. Just call the VICTIM HOTLINE again.