Here are some key benefits of 9-1-1 that all add up to saving time in an emergency when minutes and even seconds can make the difference to your health and safety.
- There is only one number to remember, so during an emergency you won’t have to look-up the number for police, fire or EMS.
- Dialing 9-1-1 eliminates the need to determine which emergency response agency to call.
- Enhanced 9-1-1 land-line technology displays your calling location so you don't have to speak for the dispatcher to know your address. Cell phones only provide tower location and an approximate vicinity. Read more about cell phones and 9-1-1.
- Our 9-1-1 Center has Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf (TDD) to communicate with hearing impaired callers.
- Our 9-1-1 Center participates in the nationally recognized Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) program, which trains dispatchers how to provide callers with life-saving instructions on various types of medical emergencies, such as how to control bleeding from a laceration, how to free an object from a choking victim’s throat, and even how to administer CPR.