Skip to main content

Mandate Relief

Mandates continue to consume 70% of every county tax dollar. We work diligently to control these costs and minimize the impact to taxpayers.

State Mandates Dominate County Costs

In Dutchess County, 70% of net county costs are required to pay for mandated programs and services.  The remaining 30% is “optional spending,” including crucial government functions such as health and mental health services, sheriff road patrols, road repair, snow removal, public transportation, 911 dispatch, and senior services.


Mandates continue to dominate our budget, including a net to county cost of

The County continues to be a strong vocal advocate for mandate relief from New York State, by recommending either to remove the mandated cost or to provide the funding required to deliver the program or service. 

Growing Mandates in 2019

The State mandates the County pay an operating and capital chargeback rate to community colleges outside of the county attended by Dutchess County residents. Although this rate is supposed to apply only to two-year community colleges, the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) is included in the chargeback rates even though it offers advanced degree programs. For 2019, the State has approved an increase of 6% in the chargeback rate the County will have to pay to FIT, and it is projected we will have to pay almost $1.2 million to this one college alone. That amounts to nearly 35% of the $3.4 million we will pay to all community colleges.

The most recent mandate included in the 2017-2018 New York State Budget is the new “Raise the Age” legislation. This new legislation raises the age of criminal responsibility from 16 to 18 over a two-year period beginning in October 2018. There are system-wide implications, and a plan to address the increase in necessary programs and services has been submitted to the State. The County will continue to prepare for the changes, and a resolution with the necessary appropriations and corresponding revenue will be submitted when the plan is approved by the State.