Poughkeepsie, NY … Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro today hosted his weekly virtual Town Hall Forum, providing residents with the latest local updates regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and other county topics and answered questions during the online Facebook LIVE forum.
Today’s forum and previous events are available on the Dutchess County Government YouTube page.
Among the highlights of today’s conversation:
- County Executive Molinaro updated residents on the most current data posted on the Dutchess County COVID-19 Community Impact Dashboard:
- 4,868 total confirmed cases
- 135,699 tests completed
- 246 active cases
- 7 hospitalizations
- 153 deaths
- 4,469 recoveries
- 1% infection rate
- On Tuesday, New York State released guidance regarding permissible seasonal and agri-tourism activities. Local farm tourism activities are classified as low-risk outdoor activity and facilities may operate at up to 33 percent capacity. Apple, pumpkin, and other produce picking is permitted, though individuals picking apples may not consume and dispose of applies in the orchard. In addition, wagon rides and haunted hayrides, corn mazes, and haunted houses are permitted with social distancing and capacity limits in place.
- With the 2020 general election fast approaching, the Dutchess County Board of Elections reminds residents that are several ways to vote this year. For information on all voting options this year, visit www.elections.dutchessny.gov.
- Absentee ballot voting - Absentee ballot rules have been expanded to include any registered voter who is not comfortable voting in-person this year due to the risk of contracting illness (including COVID-19). Voters are encouraged to go online and fill out the their absentee ballot application as soon as possible to ensure they receive their ballot from the post office in time for the election in November.
- Early voting – Voters can cast their vote in person in advance of Election Day starting at October 24th at five locations throughout Dutchess County:
- Rhinebeck Town Hall
- Millbrook Fire House
- Dutchess County Board of Elections
- Poughkeepsie Public Library Boardman Road Branch
- Fishkill Town Hall
- Traditional Election Day voting – vote in person on Election Day, Tuesday, November 3rd at traditional polling sites.
- Earlier this week, County Executive Molinaro and County Legislature Chairman Gregg Pulver announced the launch of the “Dutchess Frontline” Award program to honor local residents who have made an important impact in our response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Individuals can nominate candidates for the Dutchess Frontline Award online at www.dutchessny.gov/dutchessfrontline. Honorees will receive a certificate recognizing their efforts.
- Yesterday, County Executive Molinaro announced a $197k COVID-19 Childcare Relief scholarship fund to benefit families with school-aged children to help fill the gap between the number of days students will physically be in the classroom and those days where students will be virtually learning. Scholarships will be awarded beginning October 1st, 2020 to a random selection of eligible families with school-aged children. The Fund will cover 75 percent of tuition for each child, which will be paid directly to the facility.
County Executive Molinaro’s next virtual discussion will take place on Wednesday, September 9th and will be broadcast live on the County’s Facebook page. As with the County Executive’s previous 30+ virtual forums, American Sign Language interpreters will translate the conversation on Facebook.