Skip to main content

The Dutchess County Poorhouse -1864-1998

Between 2019-2021, the Dutchess County Department of Public Works in partnership with the Department of History and Vassar College undertook work to increase visitor accessibility to the Dutchess County Poorhouse and Brier Hill Cemetery sites. The Poorhouse, alternatively known as the County Almshouse, the County Infirmary, and the County House, operated from 1864-1998, replacing an early poorhouse shared between Dutchess County and the City of Poughkeepsie, which was located in Poughkeepsie. Both institutions provided support services to the indigent, sick, and infirm residents of Dutchess County.