- Creating a safe school environment conducive to learning.
- Promoting awareness of the law and other safety issues to foster responsible citizenship.
- Serving as a confidential advisor, a source of counseling and a link to support services.
- Bridging the gap between youth and law enforcement thereby establishing a trusting channel of communication.
- Assisting administrators in implementing SAVE legislation requirements.
The Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office has implemented the School Resource Officer Program in the following participating school districts:
The Deputy Sheriffs assigned as School Resource Officers conduct community outreach and crime prevention programs as well as act as a liaison between the school community and Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office.
The Triad Approach
Law Enforcement Officer
- Police Officer sworn to maintain peace & order.
- Provide a visible deterrence to crime.
- Provide police services & serve as a member of safety teams.
- Assist in SAVE legislation and crime reporting requirements.
Law Related Advisor
- Maintain an open door policy and be an "active listener."
- Be a “reality counselor” and provide referrals to appropriate services.
- Advise on certain criminal justice issues.
Law Related Educator
- Presentations for students from kindergarten through 12th grade on a myriad of topics.
- Presentations for the faculty & staff on law, school safety, violence, and substance abuse issues.
- Presentations for parents and community groups on law, safety, and crime prevention issues.
- Crime Prevention in our Communities.
- Crime Prevention is the focus on strategies that help prevent crime, reduce fear of crime and improve the quality of life in our neighborhoods.