Skip to main content

Temporary Assistance (TA)

Orientation Video (View on YouTube

In New York State there are three financial assistance programs:

Family Assistance (FA)

This program provides money for families with children. Cash benefits are limited to five years in a recipient’s lifetime. After five years a Family Assistance recipient may continue to receive benefits if an adult is disabled and cannot work or may be required to apply for assistance through the Safety Net category.

Safety Net Assistance (SNA)

This program provides money for basic living expenses for single adults and childless couples or families who have used up their 5-year limit of FA. Cash benefits are limited to two years including any cash benefits received through Family Assistance. After two years, the non-cash Safety Net Assistance voucher system provides benefits. 

Emergency Temporary Assistance

An emergency is an urgent need or situation that must be taken care of right away. Emergency Assistance for Families (EAF) and Emergency Safety Net Assistance (ESNA) provide assistance for crisis situations. 

Emergency Temporary Assistance is available when you:

  • Are homeless (you must be seen at our 60 Market St, Poughkeepsie location)
  • Have little or no food
  • Have a pending eviction 
  • Have no fuel for heating in the cold weather
  • Have a utility shut off notice
  • You or someone in your family is being threatened or physically harmed


  • 845-486-3000
  • 845-486-3090
  • Department of Community and Family Services (DCFS)
    60 Market Street
    Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Additional DCFS Locations

Only paperwork is accepted on Wednesdays for  Temporary Assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, and HEAP  (No in-person client interviews)

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for a Temporary Assistance benefit, individuals and families will be subject to income and resource tests. Benefit levels vary depending on household size, available income and expenses. Please keep in mind that you may NOT be eligible for benefits if you do not meet guidelines set by New York State. 

To learn more visit the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance

How can I apply?

To find out if you are eligible for Temporary Assistance you must file an application and be interviewed at either our main office at 60 Market Street, Poughkeepsie or call 845-677-5532 for an appointment at our Eastern Dutchess Government Center located at 131 County House Road, Millbrook. If you are homeless you must be seen at our 60 Market St, Poughkeepsie location. 

Community Solutions for Transportation Program (CST)

Description: This program also known as Wheels to Work is funded by DCFS and awards families with a pre-owned vehicle to assist them with transportation to work. The program is administered through Dutchess County BOCES.

To learn more visit Dutchess County BOCES