Facts About the New York Sheriff's Victim's Hotline
- The offender will not know you are registered with the New York Sheriff’s VICTIM HOTLINE.
- If you are not at home, the New York Sheriff’s VICTIM HOTLINE will leave a message on an answering machine. If there is no answer, the hotline will keep calling back until you enter your PIN code or until 48 hours have passed.
- Since the New York Sheriff’s VICTIM HOTLINE calls automatically when an offender's custody status changes, you may get a notification call in the middle of the night.
- Do not leave a phone number with the New York Sheriff’s VICTIM HOTLINE that rings to a switchboard unless the switchboard operator has your PIN code to confirm the message.
- The New York Sheriff’s VICTIM HOTLINE monitors offenders in New York's County Jails, the New York City Department of Correction and the New York State Department of Correctional Services.
- Do not depend solely on the New York Sheriff’s VICTIM HOTLINE, or any other single program, for your protection. Make the New York Sheriff’s VICTIM HOTLINE part of your safety plan.
- You can leave more than one phone number with the New York Sheriff’s VICTIM HOTLINE. Just call the VICTIM HOTLINE again.
How to Sign Up
- Call 1-888-VINE-4-NY (1-888-846-3469) from a touch-tone phone and follow the directions. The VICTIM HOTLINE will tell you the custody status of the offender.
- If the offender is in custody, you can leave a phone number where you want to be notified when there is a change in the offender's custody status. Enter the area code and phone number, followed by the pound (#) key.
- When the VICTIM HOTLINE asks, make up and enter a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) code that will be easy for you to remember. You can write this number down for reference. The New York Sheriff’s VICTIM HOTLINE will ask for the PIN code when it calls you.
- When the New York Sheriff’s VICTIM HOTLINE calls, listen to the message, then enter your PIN when asked. Entering the PIN lets the VICTIM HOTLINE know that you got the call.
Additional Victim Assistance Services in New York State
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving 1-800-245-6233
- New York Sheriff’s VICTIM’S HOTLINE 1-888-846-3469
- New York State Crime Victims Board 1-800-247-8035
- New York State Domestic Violence Hotline English: 1-800-942-6906, Spanish: 1-800-942-6908
- New York State Elder Abuse Hotline 1-800-342-3009
- New York State Parole Victim Impact Unit 1-518-486-4400, 1-800-639-2650
- New York State Sex Offender Registry 1-900-288-3838
- Rape Crisis Services 1-800-342-5767
- DUTCHESS COUNTY GOVERNMENT
- © Copyright 2003-2022
Dutchess County Government – OCIS