Skip to main content

Youth Services Frequently Asked Questions

Child Advocate  

Q.  I'm having problems with my child's school/school district. Where can I get help in dealing with them?

The Youth Services Unit of the Dutchess County Division of Youth Services provides advocacy services.  Call 845-486-3665.

Counseling Services  

Q.  My child is rebellious and refuses to go to school. Where can I get help?

The Division's Youth Services Unit (YSU) provides free, confidential short term counseling for youth residing in Dutchess County from ages 4 up to 21 years.  Call 845-486-3665.

Youth Organizations, Program and Jobs  

Q.  Where can I find free recreational after school programs for my child?

Your local town or city recreation department can give you information on available after school programs.

Q.  How do I get information on the DC Youth Council?

Information about the Youth Council is available online.

Youth Statistics  

Q.  Where can I find statistics on such things as the number of youth in Dutchess County, the number of school age children in Dutchess County, and the number of children by school district/municipality?

See the Health and Well-being of Children, Families and Adults in Dutchess County Select Data Indicators (.pdf).

Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) Funding  

Q.  Where can I get claim forms for OCFS (Office of Children and Family Services) funding?

Claim forms can be e-mailed, or hard copies can be obtained from the Division of Youth Services.

For more info contact:

Q.  When and with whom do I file the OCFS (Office of Children and Family Services) claim forms for reimbursement?

Nonprofit agencies file the claims with the Division of Youth Services on a monthly basis.  Youth Development and Delinquency Prevention Programs (YDDP) may file quarterly.  Municipalities file directly to the News York State Office of Children and Family Services.

Q.  What do I need to send to the Youth Bureau with my OCFS (Office of Children and Family Services) claim forms?

We require backup documentation for expenses claimed (i.e. payroll registers, copies of bills, receipts and copies of checks.)

For more info contact:  or call 845-486-3660.

Q.  When can I expect reimbursement for my OCFS (Office of Children and Family Services) claim?

Not-for-Profits should allow at least two weeks for processing.  Municipalities may have a longer wait.

Q.  How do I amend my OCFS (Office of Children and Family Services) budget?

Submit your request in writing to the Division of Youth Services and a budget amendment will be prepared.

Q.  What must I do if I have a personnel change during the year?

Notify the Division of Youth Services in writing of the new employee, their position, and their start date.  Also include a copy of their resume.

Q.  Where can I get OCFS (Office of Children and Family Services) fiscal policies and procedures?

View or download NYS OCFS Fiscal Policies and Procedures Local Assistance Programs (.pdf)

Q.  How do I apply for funding from the New York State Office of Children & Family Services (OCFS)?

Send an email request to